Friday, October 3, 2008

Geek of the Week # 4 - Jordan Alexander

Yeah, it’s Geek of the Week time again and today I have some robot love for you! I’d like to introduce you to Jordan Alexander who is the creator of a world of wonderful robots.

1. Who are you, where are you from and how long have you been crafting?

I'm Jordan Alexander, I work at an art supply store in downtown phoenix. I've been crafting on and off for the past 5 years, and have been designing my robots for the past three years.

2. Do you craft for a specific genre of geek (ie. sci-fi, gaming, horror, math, fantasy, music, etc…)

I try to peak the interest of the etsy sci fi geeks, but I have learned that robot love reaches beyond the geek realm.

3. What was the first “geekey” craft you ever made?

I've always been mad crazy about robots. The idea for making my robots came from collecting wood scraps from construction sites and buying wooden blocks from the craft store. I started gluing pieces together and it's been a marriage made in robot heaven ever since!

4. What inspires you to craft?

Pretty much everything. I listen to David Bowie a lot and read a shit load of sci fi books. David Bowie is all the inspiration anyone needs.

5. Where can we find your crafts (website, shows, blogs, etc.)
my etsy page: spaceboyjordo.etsy.com ; and at some local shops in Phoenix, most importantly: Red Hot Robot, a store that sells vinyl toys and sells a lot of art work by local Phoenician artists.

6. Anything else you'd like to share?

I'm addicted to the book series DUNE by Frank Herbert. I get a lot of inspiration from those books. I've literally read every book. Twice. Also, the best times of my life have been spent sitting at the kitchen table and watching my mother draw in her sketch book. To this day my mom still sketches. I live across the country from her and every once in a while I get a letter or a post card from her with a sketch that she's drawn. Half of them are robots!

1 comment:

Hobocamp Crafts said...

cool interview! I like the Geek of the week dealie! Have a great weekend!