Friday, September 12, 2008

Geek of the Week - Geek Central Station

This is a new feature article I'm starting, my "Geek of the Week!" Each week I'll be interviewing a new geek that I think is fabulous and I know you'll love them as well.

To start the series I'd like to introduce you to Sammi from Geek Central Station. She makes the most amazing chrochet figures! I love all the details she adds to her work and of course I love that she makes geeky things (the little evil Uhura is my favorite!).

So, let me introduce you to Sammi...

1. Who are you, where are you from and how long have you been crafting? My name is Sammi, I'm from New York originally (but currently stuck in Texas) and I've pretty much been crafting since I was little. My mom was a big crafty person too, so I've just been around that kind of influence all of my life. As far as specifics go, though, I have been crocheting less than a year.

2. Do you craft for a specific genre of geek (ie. sci-fi, gaming, horror, math, fantasy, music, etc…) I would say generally fantasy/sci-fi. Star Wars and Lord of the Rings are my two favorite things to craft, although gaming and TV come in a close second.

3. What was the first “geekey” craft you ever made? Well the first truly geeky thing I think I ever made was a Jedi robe for the "The Phantom Menace", followed by a Hobbit cloak for the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy. I didn't start crocheting until a few years later, though I did specifically teach myself so that I could make miniature characters from my favorite movies.

4. What inspires you to craft? I think it's a lot of different influences. At first just my favorite TV shows and movies inspired me, and I started crafting as a way to show how much I enjoy the work these people do. So I guess that these little dudes are a sort of tribute to the geeky things I love. At the same time, though, it's fun to come at these kind of traditional crafts (crochet, knit, cross stitch, etc.) and put a new spin on them. I love when people take something that is so cliche and trite and look at it in a completely new and different way.

5. Where can we find your crafts (website, shows, blogs, etc.) Right now I have my website: geekcentralstation.blogspot.com and my flickr flickr.com/photos/geekcentralstation/. I'm not in any art museums or anything,

6. Anything else you'd like to share? Craft on, geeky people! There can never be enough geeky crafts out there--just you wait, and we'll conquer the world some day.

Thanks again,
Sammi

No comments: